Can I Go Back To Sleep?
No, I did not get the tenure-track job. It went to the department head's pet, which really didn't surprise me. I hate it when I'm right sometimes.
The part that really irks me is that the department head is blowing me off. I sent him an e-mail asking if I could talk with him for like fifteen minutes to find out why I didn't get the job. I worded it in such a way that I'm looking for constructive criticism, a way to make me more appealing the next time a tenure-track line opens. It's not like I plan on storming into his office and aiming straight for his balls. I honestly want to know what made the "pet" a better candidate than me. I got a response back that he can't see me for close to two weeks because he was "busy." Why do I not believe that? The guy isn't teaching any summer classes and it's not like I was looking for a four hour block of his time. Could he be scared of me? Who knows. Maybe it's a good thing that I'm not seeing him until next week. I've already got through my "stages": extreme depression, anger, and then acceptance. If I saw him over the weekend I probably would've placed a few strategic kicks to his groin. LOL.
This whole job thing triggered my depression so badly that I had a week-long moderate depressive episode. Not so bad that I couldn't function but bad enough that it took a lot of effort. I ended up having to cancel a lot of enjoyable plans over the weekend so I could get the rest needed to get over it. I'm doing better now but I'm in what I call the "recovery phase." It's kind of like when you get the flu and the illness is over but your body is really wiped out. It's the same thing with a depressive episode.
What doesn't help is that it is too freaking hot outside. I'm sorry but temperatures should not be reaching the upper 90s in the first half of June. We don't have any air conditioners in the two bedrooms and the windows don't support window a/c units. Over the weekend we were running around trying to find a good portable model. Our neighbors picked up an Amana one at BJs so we got one of the last ones there. Of course it's still sitting in the car 'cause neither Bear nor I have the energy to lug it out. Pathetic, aren't we?
On top of all this, the Grading Hell of Summer I session has begun. I'm in the last half of the session which means I need to get off my ass and start grading. I've got two classes of Western Civ I and they are pretty decent so reading their assignments isn't as painful (no reaching for alcohol yet). However, stupid me gave them about five writing assignments to do plus lots of essays on their tests. I do it to improve their writing skills but there are times I wish I was a lazy don't care kind of teacher. It would make my life so much easier.
Off for more Diet Pepsi Max and some munchies before grading again...
The part that really irks me is that the department head is blowing me off. I sent him an e-mail asking if I could talk with him for like fifteen minutes to find out why I didn't get the job. I worded it in such a way that I'm looking for constructive criticism, a way to make me more appealing the next time a tenure-track line opens. It's not like I plan on storming into his office and aiming straight for his balls. I honestly want to know what made the "pet" a better candidate than me. I got a response back that he can't see me for close to two weeks because he was "busy." Why do I not believe that? The guy isn't teaching any summer classes and it's not like I was looking for a four hour block of his time. Could he be scared of me? Who knows. Maybe it's a good thing that I'm not seeing him until next week. I've already got through my "stages": extreme depression, anger, and then acceptance. If I saw him over the weekend I probably would've placed a few strategic kicks to his groin. LOL.
This whole job thing triggered my depression so badly that I had a week-long moderate depressive episode. Not so bad that I couldn't function but bad enough that it took a lot of effort. I ended up having to cancel a lot of enjoyable plans over the weekend so I could get the rest needed to get over it. I'm doing better now but I'm in what I call the "recovery phase." It's kind of like when you get the flu and the illness is over but your body is really wiped out. It's the same thing with a depressive episode.
What doesn't help is that it is too freaking hot outside. I'm sorry but temperatures should not be reaching the upper 90s in the first half of June. We don't have any air conditioners in the two bedrooms and the windows don't support window a/c units. Over the weekend we were running around trying to find a good portable model. Our neighbors picked up an Amana one at BJs so we got one of the last ones there. Of course it's still sitting in the car 'cause neither Bear nor I have the energy to lug it out. Pathetic, aren't we?
On top of all this, the Grading Hell of Summer I session has begun. I'm in the last half of the session which means I need to get off my ass and start grading. I've got two classes of Western Civ I and they are pretty decent so reading their assignments isn't as painful (no reaching for alcohol yet). However, stupid me gave them about five writing assignments to do plus lots of essays on their tests. I do it to improve their writing skills but there are times I wish I was a lazy don't care kind of teacher. It would make my life so much easier.
Off for more Diet Pepsi Max and some munchies before grading again...
Comments