Update on the Foot
Someone posted a comment on my Carlin post about my torn peroneus brevis tendon and I missed it so I apologize for the delay in responding to you.
My advice, get a good doctor (whether ortho or pod) and get it fixed now. My current doc (the best ankle/foot surgeon in the state), told me he would do the conservative approach for the first three months. If a person was still in pain, he would have done surgery to correct it at that point. I wish he was my doc from the beginning. :(
I walked on my bad foot/ankle for almost a year before it was fixed. I would say about 1/2 of that year was spent in a walking cast on and off. I should not have waited so long for treatment because by the time surgery was done I was told that 50-60% of my movement would return if I was lucky.
The surgery itself was successful and I am in considerably less pain now than I was beforehand. However, my mobility is still very limited. My injury was not nice. Not only had I torn the tendon, it had been almost completely dislocated from the bone. This required not only suturing of the tendon but anchoring it back in place.
Right now, eight months after the surgery, I still have a limp. If I stay off my feet, I'm not in any pain but I'm one of those teachers who bounces around the classroom constantly. By the end of the day I can barely walk so I keep a cane with me (a very cool one with flames). Running? I wouldn't even try it. I'll be going into a second round of PT to see if that helps but this may be the best of the 50-60% he said I would get.
If I were you, and it's been past three months, get a second opinion. Talk to other orthos and find the best ankle/foot surgeon around and get it fixed before it's too late.
Oh, and here's my cane (yes, it's the can House uses on the TV show. I love it!):

It's available from FashionableCanes.com.
My advice, get a good doctor (whether ortho or pod) and get it fixed now. My current doc (the best ankle/foot surgeon in the state), told me he would do the conservative approach for the first three months. If a person was still in pain, he would have done surgery to correct it at that point. I wish he was my doc from the beginning. :(
I walked on my bad foot/ankle for almost a year before it was fixed. I would say about 1/2 of that year was spent in a walking cast on and off. I should not have waited so long for treatment because by the time surgery was done I was told that 50-60% of my movement would return if I was lucky.
The surgery itself was successful and I am in considerably less pain now than I was beforehand. However, my mobility is still very limited. My injury was not nice. Not only had I torn the tendon, it had been almost completely dislocated from the bone. This required not only suturing of the tendon but anchoring it back in place.
Right now, eight months after the surgery, I still have a limp. If I stay off my feet, I'm not in any pain but I'm one of those teachers who bounces around the classroom constantly. By the end of the day I can barely walk so I keep a cane with me (a very cool one with flames). Running? I wouldn't even try it. I'll be going into a second round of PT to see if that helps but this may be the best of the 50-60% he said I would get.
If I were you, and it's been past three months, get a second opinion. Talk to other orthos and find the best ankle/foot surgeon around and get it fixed before it's too late.
Oh, and here's my cane (yes, it's the can House uses on the TV show. I love it!):

It's available from FashionableCanes.com.
Comments