I Hate Being in a Cast
I'm one of those people who loves to shower. A bath is nice, but on a day to day basis, it needs to be a shower. I can go about 48 hours without a shower before I feel incredibly gross, and that's only if I hadn't been doing anything physical. Unfortunately, being in a cast makes that a bit difficult for me to shower that regularly. Bear, of course, doesn't understand my need for showers. I think most men can go a week without a shower and not feel gross.
So last night, I went to take a shower. I thought I was being smart by wrapping a garbage bag around my cast and securing everything with duct tape. Heck, I even duct taped the damn thing to my leg (glad I shaved my legs before the surgery LOL). What I didn't expect was the bag to have a hole it it. By the time I realized that it was too late and my soft cast was sopping wet.
I called the doctor to find out what to do but he was out of the office. The assistant told me to blow dry it for the time being and then come in today to get a new cast put on. Unfortunately, my blow dryer is in a box somewhere so I sent out Bear to buy me a new on. Even still, that only dried the outside. The inside was all wet and squishy. God, that felt even more gross than the fact I hadn't taken a shower in three days. What's worse? The incision got wet so that started to itch and burn. Let's just say I was not a happy camper last night.
Today my doc peeled off the soft cast and cleaned everything out (my foot took a betadine bath). Since I was going to see him Thursday anyways, he took some of the stitches out and put me in a hard cast which I can walk on (but not until Friday). I even got to pick out a color for my cast so I went with black. Bear thought the glow-in-the-dark cast would've been neat but I know it would freak me out at 2am. Also, black goes with pretty much everything in my wardrobe anyways.
I am debating on going into work on Thursday. My semester started today, but since I thought I wouldn't be weight-bearing until Thursday, I called in sick today and tomorrow. Now I may just call in sick on Thursday as well. I'm just too fat and out of shape to be running around a college on crutches. It will all depend on how I feel on Thursday morning I guess.
Until then, I'm going to enjoy a nice vicodin haze for the rest of today. :)
P.S. The doc told me to wrap my leg up in Saran Wrap first and then put the bag over it. That way if the bag has a hole, the Saran Wrap will act as a backup.
So last night, I went to take a shower. I thought I was being smart by wrapping a garbage bag around my cast and securing everything with duct tape. Heck, I even duct taped the damn thing to my leg (glad I shaved my legs before the surgery LOL). What I didn't expect was the bag to have a hole it it. By the time I realized that it was too late and my soft cast was sopping wet.
I called the doctor to find out what to do but he was out of the office. The assistant told me to blow dry it for the time being and then come in today to get a new cast put on. Unfortunately, my blow dryer is in a box somewhere so I sent out Bear to buy me a new on. Even still, that only dried the outside. The inside was all wet and squishy. God, that felt even more gross than the fact I hadn't taken a shower in three days. What's worse? The incision got wet so that started to itch and burn. Let's just say I was not a happy camper last night.
Today my doc peeled off the soft cast and cleaned everything out (my foot took a betadine bath). Since I was going to see him Thursday anyways, he took some of the stitches out and put me in a hard cast which I can walk on (but not until Friday). I even got to pick out a color for my cast so I went with black. Bear thought the glow-in-the-dark cast would've been neat but I know it would freak me out at 2am. Also, black goes with pretty much everything in my wardrobe anyways.
I am debating on going into work on Thursday. My semester started today, but since I thought I wouldn't be weight-bearing until Thursday, I called in sick today and tomorrow. Now I may just call in sick on Thursday as well. I'm just too fat and out of shape to be running around a college on crutches. It will all depend on how I feel on Thursday morning I guess.
Until then, I'm going to enjoy a nice vicodin haze for the rest of today. :)
P.S. The doc told me to wrap my leg up in Saran Wrap first and then put the bag over it. That way if the bag has a hole, the Saran Wrap will act as a backup.
Comments