Feminism and Me

Today in my 20th century history class I spent a good 20 minutes discussing the women's liberation movement of the 1960s and 1970s. Then ironically, in a friend's blog I saw a link to this blog called Families Against Feminism. Talk about going from one extreme to another.

Let me point out a few things first before I get myself into hot water: I have NOTHING against Christianity nor do I have anything against stay at home moms who home school their children. The latter is not an easy job and if a woman chooses that life path, all power to her. Honestly, considering the way school systems are going these days, my kids might be better off being home schooled just so they can actually learn something.

Now I don't consider myself a "feminist." I'm more like an "equalist," if that makes sense. To me, women are capable of doing most, if not all, the same things men do. I believe in judging a person by their character, not their sex.

**warning: incoming rant**

With that said, it is now time to bash the type of woman mentioned in Families Against Feminism.

Get a fucking life.

I'm sorry. Some of the comments this woman writes makes me feel like I've been flung back into the Middle Ages. She wrote that she was against the type of feminism that:
...says women and men need to perform the same roles...i.e. submission is a bad word, and a marriage should be an equal partnership with no protective head.

The kind that says "I am woman, hear me roar".

The kind that says, "I've got more important things to do than nurture and train the souls of my children."
Oh man.

To the first part, why can't a marriage be an equal partnership? Both my husband and I have equal yet distinct roles in the marriage. He is the main bread winner but I do the finances. He cooks, I do the dishes, etc. Also, on a personal level, we treat each other as equals. OK, so he sometimes acts like I'm the boss, but we view each other as important and equal parts of our relationship. As for a protective head? We protect each other. Whenever my depression acts up, he's there to fill the role of protector. When he gets sick, I do the same for him. Heck, all good relationships (i.e., the marriages that last longer than two years) require compromising and accepting. If anybody thinks that a woman's role should be subservient to her husband she needs to develop some self-esteem.

Second part? Dammit, I am roaring so you better listen to me. :)

Seriously, the whole point of "I am woman, hear me roar" is that the opinions of women were not held in any kind of esteem for centuries. In the 1960s women were saying "hey I have an opinion too so my voice should be heard." I don't think little Mrs. Anti-Feminism realizes that by her writing a blog is the same as her shouting "hear me roar."

As for the third part....I realize that we don't have kids, but I doubt our relationship will change once we do. Yes, I plan on being a stay-at-home mom if we can afford it. Most likely, though, we won't be able to. However, me working is not going to affect how well I raise my child. It is not the quantity of time you spend with your child. I know of many stay-at-home moms whose kids are the worst behaved little brats who have no common sense. It's the quality of time. Spend the nights and weekends working with your children. Give them your knowledge, culture, skills, etc. Treat the child like a human being and your child will thank you for it.

A good example is my little niece. She has got to be one of the smartest and greatest kids on the planet (I may be slightly biased). Both of her parents work full time jobs but they make sure she is in the best child care during the day. When they are home, they are constantly reading to her, communicating with her, and turning her into good person. I mean, come on...how many 2 1/2 year old voluntarily put their toys away?

She also talks about how it's such a bad thing that women feel the need to be in the work force. The way I look at that is this: I'm going to raise my daughter to the best of my ability. I'll give her the best education I can. If she chooses to be a stay-at-home homeschooling mom, no problem. The big part here is that I'm going to make sure that she makes the best decision for her. If she feels that's the right one, all power to her. If she wants to go on to be the CEO of a huge company, go for it. I want her to use the natural gifts God gave her to succeed in life.

One of the problems with people like Mrs. Anti-Feminist is that they are just as bad as the "evil" radical feminists: they go to the extreme. They see things only in black and white. The radical feminists are tired of being put down by The Man while the anti-feminists are tired of being expected to live like men. Throughout history women have held many roles, no one being better than the other. Some women were mighty warriors while others were passive wives. Some women are top ranking CEO's or Prime Ministers of countries, while others are mild mannered history teachers. In some societies, certain women are giving the duties of raising children while others are responsible for hunting and gathering.

She also argues against the type of feminism which
has forgotten her precious worth as a woman, slapping the face of God as she scorns her role as keeper of the home and the multi-faceted opportunities that role would afford her.
I got bad news for this woman: God did not design women to only be "keepers of the home," namely barefoot and pregnant. If He wanted us that way, he wouldn't have given us brains or free will to choose what we want to do.

*rant off*

Comments

Cat, have you read her whole blog? I think she's pretty respectful of other opinions and hardly thinks that women are nothing and should have no rights. Dare you to ask her about it ;]. I'm a bit more liberal than she is, but I see where she's coming from on a lot of things.

Actually, I like you both a whole lot and it saddens me that you find her opinions so distasteful.

PS. I hope your foot heals soon; that sounds so incredibly painful!! (And expensive, if you don't mind my saying so LOL!!)

Popular posts from this blog

Channeling Ayla

Long Week